Old April 9th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Yeah, setting up a Syslog server might be the right next step. I don't have one now because I haven't needed one and I have to carefully manage every machine with continuous network access due to aggregious audit requirements (so I can't just be setting up machines willy-nilly). When I can somehow get that 25th hour in a day, I'll spend some time buying/setting up a Syslog server so I can better troubleshoot this.

As for the correlation to signature updates, anecdotally I don't think so, but I really have no idea since I have to power-cycle to see the logs again (and then the old logs are purged).
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:20 AM

dbadave,

To check for correlation set the updates to occur at a specific time of day. If the UTM locks up around that time then I guess you have correlation .

It seems (to me at least) that downloading signature updates is stressful for the UTM, particularly if memory usage is running high (>75%) - CPU goes to 100% often during the download. I work around this by having the IPS switched off, which reduces the memory footprint significantly, and have not had a lock up since (touch wood).

You may be able to run a SysLog server (software) on a (physical) server already available on your network. You can install one on most Linux distros. I use the one packaged with my QNAP storage box. I am sure they are available on Windows also.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Kiwi Syslog is free, and for Windows. It'll work on a PC.

Support Pages - UTM - STM
-
FYI - I am a Reseller and not employed by Netgear
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM

When I get some time, I'll setup Kiwi Syslog somewhere temporarily. Believe it or not, the audit requirements I'm saddled with require seperation of functionality on machine boundaries, so eventually I'll have to dedicate a whole machine to syslog, but I can rig something for the short term. Don't tell anyone
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:50 AM

So you can't even use VMs for separation? Sheeesh!
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:41 PM

I could use a VM, but then the host machine wouldn't be allowed to do anything but host VMs. The actual audit requirements are written a little broader than that, but tell that to the auditor who doesn't quite understand the technical language of the spec and you'll be in for some fun. Audits are fun.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Default SSL VPN issues (UTM25 and UTM50)

I have been monitoring this post and I thought I'd put my experiences in as well. I have been experiencing the same issue with the SSL VPN causing the UTM box to become inaccessible for management or new SSL VPN connections. I have been steadily upgrading the firmware over time to hopefully fix this issue, but it still is a problem. There are no specific time of day correlations and I only have 2-3 SSL users connected at any specific time.

I am currently at 1.3.15-28 on both the UTM25 and UTM50 with the same issues others have reported. There really IS a problem with this. Like others within this thread, my users are becoming more frustrated when I am not available to HARD RESET the firewall to fix the problem.

I would strongly urge Netgear to review this so that this condition can be corrected. I am very pleased with everything else I've experienced with both the performance as well as the feature set. I just am disappointed that this issue has been continuing for a year or so without any fix.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM

jeepguy, I have something for you to try. I've been up for 20 days so far with more than usual SSL VPN usage, so I'm optimistic. It appears that somewhere along the line, a new SSL VPN client may have been included in the UTM firmware (without showing up in any release notes). I noticed it after upgrading to v1.3.15-28 and installing the client on a new laptop -- there was a different tray icon than before. Grasping at straws, I've since uninstalled the SSL VPN client from all of the existing machines and re-installed from the UTM. So far, so good (fingers crossed).

Maybe someone from Netgear or adit can verify that the client was indeed updated in a recent UTM firmware (containing more than just a new tray icon). Anyone?
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM

What does your system tray icon look like? Post a screenshot if you can.

Support Pages - UTM - STM
-
FYI - I am a Reseller and not employed by Netgear
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Default SSL Clients

Thanks, Dave! I am asking my remote VPN users to try the uninstall/reinstall procedure to see if the new SSL Client will change things. It is a bit frustrating that there are no change-log descriptions for the SSL clients nor are there any versions to reference.

I will let you know if this changes the stability of the VPN connectivity for me.

Can someone at Netgear look into the specific changes for the SSL clients in the 1.3.15-28 software? It would be comforting to know that the stability of the firewall was corrected with a client change. It would also be VERY helpful if there was a version number that was included with the status page for the SSL client tray icon.